Sweet, chocolate-y and packed with fruit, these Zesty Flapjack Bites are quick and easy to whip up and make a great treat for anytime.
This great recipe, made exclusively for Rooted, comes from local vegan blogger Freya of berry-good-for-you.com, a site packed with amazing vegan recipes, advice, information and recommendations on great places to eat in the UK and around the world. Make sure to follow her on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook!
- 200 g fine porridge oats
- 65 g vegan margarine
- 60 g dark brown sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- Zest of 2 oranges
- ⅓ cup finely chopped dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 50 g plain flour
- 100 g vegan dark chocolate
- Start by preheating the oven to 200˚C (180˚C fan) and lining a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a non-stick saucepan, combine the vegan margarine, sugar, golden syrup and half of the orange zest on a low heat. Stir continuously until the mixture is smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats and dried fruit before stirring in the liquid. At this point the consistency will be very gooey and sticky. Slowly sift in the flour to form a more workable mixture.
- Flour your hands and start rolling the flapjack into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Add these to the tray and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- While the flapjack bites are cooling down, melt 100 g of chocolate to drizzle over the top. Finally, decorate the flapjack bites using the remaining orange zest and enjoy! [Br] Keeps for up to 1 week in an airtight container.